West Hills Baptist Church (WHBC) has always been noted for its warm fellowship, acceptance of diversity, ready incorporation of new members in leadership, support of women, participation in missions, strong music and educational programs, and adherence to historic Baptist ideals.
WHBC began in 1959 when twenty persons met in the home of J.O. and Leola Archer under the sponsorship of Knoxville’s First Baptist Church. The mission meeting at West Hills Elementary School grew rapidly and called the Reverend Andrew J. Prince as its first pastor in August 1960. WHBC organized as a church with 176 charter members in October 1961, and moved into its first permanent building.
WHBC has been an integral part of the community, establishing a premier preschool, kindergarten program, sponsoring scout troops and community activities, and cooperating with other churches in the FISH program. WHBC provides transportation to church activities for retirement center residents and has given an annual Christmas party for the children of the Western Heights Baptist Center since 1970.
WHBC has been active in hands-on missions. Groups and individuals have gone from Appalachia to Alaska, from Arizona to Africa, from Pippa Passes to Peru, from Chile to China, and points between.
WHBC was blessed with the 32-year ministry of Dr. Andrew J. Prince, and the six-year tenure of Dr. Marvin G. Cameron. More recently Rev. John E. Pennington, Jr served as Senior Minister for 10 1/2 years. As of June 12, 2011 Rev. Drew Prince began his service as the Senior Minister following in his father’s footsteps 50 years later.